Our ClinicsSt. James Location
Mieke Vonderbank, BMR(PT)
Mieke knew from an early age that she wanted to be a Physiotherapist. Mieke enjoys working with people from various backgrounds and ages. She is committed in helping her patients reach their full potential by using her Physiotherapy skills and by inspiring others to be as active as possible. Mieke was born and grew up in Breezand, a town in the Netherlands, which provides the largest number of Tulip bulbs shipped around the world. In her spare time, Mieke likes to stay active. She enjoys strength training, swimming, biking, hiking and camping. She takes pride in taking care of her garden and loves cooking for her family.
- Graduated from the University of Manitoba with a Bachelor of Medical Rehabilitation (Physical Therapy) Degree in 1986.
- Certification in Acupuncture
- Runs a weekly post-op knee and hip replacement physiotherapy class
- Completed manual therapy courses early in her career and got her Part A Manual Therapy Certification in 1990
- Over the years, Mieke has taken numerous continuing education courses and continues to take advanced courses related to her daily practice.
- Over the years, Mieke has volunteered at various sporting events, worked with Riding for the Disabled and she has been a board member at the Horse Connection. Currently, she is leading weekly dryland training sessions for a ringette team.
Laurie Ostash, BMR(PT)
Laurie enjoys treating a wide variety of musculo-skeletal conditions including MVA and work-related injuries. She is experienced in post-op shoulder, spine and joint replacement rehabilitation, and has a particular interest in providing patients suffering from back, neck, and upper limb pain and overuse syndromes with the tools they need to restore pain-free function and maintain active lifestyles. Laurie employs an active approach to treatment, combining education, manual treatment and exercise prescription specific to each client’s need. Laurie is a lifelong Winnipegger and is an enthusiastic consumer of local dance, theatre and live music. She is an avid reader and enjoys yoga, cooking for family and friends, gardening, camping, hiking and summer weekends at Black Sturgeon Lake.
- Graduated from the University of Manitoba in 1987 with a Bachelor of Medical Rehabilitation.
- She has been practicing physiotherapy for over 30 years and has been working at D’Arcy Bain Physiotherapy St. James location since 2001.
- Acupuncture Certification (1996)
- Over the years she has taken many post-graduate courses to further her knowledge and support her practice. Most recently completed advanced courses in shoulder and hip rehabilitation.
Sheri Legault, BMR(PT)
Sheri wanted to a be a physiotherapist at an early age. She loves her job because it allows her to get to know people, problem solve and help her patients. Sheri believes in getting to know the patient as a whole, to be better able to combine hands on/manual treatment with specific exercise, modalities and acupuncture to facilitate full recovery. She enjoys treating a wide variety of musculoskeletal injuries, post-op patients, joint replacements, MPI, WCB and sports injuries. Sheri’s passions outside of work include camping, cycling and hiking with her husband and two kids, yoga and spin classes. She recently has returned to cross country skiing over winter.
- Graduated from the University of Manitoba with a Bachelor’s Degree in Physiotherapy in 1993.
- Early in her career she enjoyed some work experience at Children’s Hospital, then pursued her interest in sports injuries and has worked in private practice now for 27 years.
- Acupuncture Certification
- Dry Needling Certification (2019)
- Sheri has gone on to further her training in orthopedics, taking many courses specific to spinal pain and sports related injuries throughout the years. She has taken a number of courses related to running as this was a passion of hers. Over the past few years, she has furthered her training with courses in the foot and ankle, hip and neck.
Michael Sofillas, MPT
Michael was born and raised in Morden, Manitoba. Growing up, Michael had a passion for all sports including baseball, soccer, golf and primarily hockey. He played in the World Under 17 Hockey Championships as a member of Team West. He then played 4 years in the Western Hockey League before finishing his hockey career with the University of Saskatchewan Huskies Men’s Hockey Team. Michael prides himself on building strong personal and therapeutic relationships with all his clients. He believes that client comfort and trust in their therapist provides greater health outcomes. Michael’s treatment style is founded on his athletic and kinesiology background which includes a strong component of exercise as well as having the client involved in creating a personalized treatment plan. Michael enjoys spending time with his nieces and nephews as well as participating in recreational sport activities. Michael also has a passion for coaching and has spent time coaching youth hockey and running hockey camps. When fortunate enough to, Michael also enjoys travelling!
- Graduated from the University of Saskatchewan in 2019 with a Bachelor of Science
- Graduated from the University of Manitoba in 2021 with a Masters of Physical Therapy.
Xavier Hamel, RMT
Xavier offers both treatment and relaxation massage techniques with a focus on rehabilitation. Whether you are an athlete, weekend warrior, or experiencing general aches and pains, Xavier at the St. James location will help with all your massage therapy needs. Xavier’s hobbies include swimming and reading in his free time. He is also a big animal lover!
- Graduated from Evolve College of Massage therapy 2022